[Apply Now] 2023 Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS)
Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) is an intensive academic and enrichment program designed for African secondary school students planning to pursue tertiary education and who wish to make a meaningful impact as young leaders on the continent. Participants will enhance their academic skills, receive guidance on university admissions and career path options, and join a network of young leaders from across Africa. Following the program, students will be paired with mentors who will advise them throughout the university application process.
Host: Yale University
Eligible Country: International
Application Closing Date: 01 February 2023
YYAS is a one-week program in July or August 2023, and offers both residential (in Zimbabwe) and online (virtually via Zoom) options. YYAS is designed for secondary school students between the ages of 14-18 living on the African continent. The online program is free for all admitted students, while the residential program includes a program fee to cover meals and operational expenses. YYAS typically offers admission to around 300 applicants.
YYGS is a two-week program in June or July 2023, and takes place residentially on Yale’s campus in New Haven, Connecticut, USA. YYGS offers need-based financial aid (up to full tuition coverage) to qualified high- achieving, low-income (HALI) students between 16-19 years old, and helps those students fundraise where needed as well. YYGS typically offers admission to around 2,000 applicants.
- You must be at least 14 years old, and not older than 18 years old, by the application deadline (1st February 2023) in order to be considered. Please note that a typical YYAS student is between the ages of 15 and 18.
- You must be able to participate in a rigorous academic curriculum conducted in English.
- You must be a citizen or permanent resident of an African country. YYAS will also accept applications from refugees living in an African country.
- You must currently attend school in an African country.
- You must be a current 11th grade student (or the international equivalent).
- If you attend school in the Northern Hemisphere, you must be graduating secondary school by latest May/June 2024. If you attend school in the Southern Hemisphere, you must be graduating secondary school by earliest November/December 2023 and no later than November/December 2024.
• Activities list
• One 500-word essay and two short essay responses
• Transcript or grade reports for each year of secondary school
• One Recommender (who will complete YYAS Recommendation Form ONLY)
• National Exam scores, if available, should also be submitted
Interested applicants are to check the official website for the proper Application procedures. Visit the official announcement page for more details. To start your application, Click the apply now button below.CLICK HERE TO APPLY NOW