The application for this Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) scholarship is to be made in your home country.
The Embassy or Consulate of Japan in your home country is responsible for this scholarship, and there are different requirements and policies according to each country. Please note that the University of Tokyo DOES NOT provide any details about the application procedure, which is independent of the university. Please inquire directly at the appropriate contact office in your country.
For a recipient who will enroll in a Master’s Program or Doctoral Program, the scholarship will be payable for the standard period of time necessary for the recipient to complete his or her program (standard course term), starting from October 2023.
– Master’s Program = October, 2023 – September, 2025 (2years)
– Doctoral Program = October, 2023 – September, 2026 (3years)
Scholarship provider: Japan Government
Study Institution: University of Tokyo
Degree Category: Masters & PhD
Eligible Country: International
Application Closing Date: October 28, 2022
- International students with outstanding academic records who wish to enter Japan in October, 2023 as a new student to study in the Master’s or Doctoral Program at the Graduate School of Science.
- Applicants must be born on or after April 2, 1988
- Applicants must have the necessary qualifications to be admitted to the Graduate School of Science, the University of Tokyo as a Master’s or a Doctoral Program student.
- Applicants must be from the MEXT eligible countries (Check Here)
- Applicants must meet one of the language requirements in either English or in Japanese as described below:
– Holds an English proficiency test score equivalent to B2 or above on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) scale (e.g. TOEFL iBT 72 or above, IELTS 5.5 or above).
– To see what counts as “B2 or above on the CEFR scale”, please refer to the CEFR Equivalency Chart
- Applicants must be physically and mentally healthy enough to pursue their studies in Japan.
- Applicants must enter the country with the resident status of “Student”, having obtained the visa anew prior to traveling to Japan.
- Enrollment and Tuition fees will be exempted.
- Economy flight ticket from applicant’s country to japan and return ticket
- Monthly stipends up to 144,000 yen/month (for a student of a Master’s Program), or 145,000 yen/month (for a student of a Doctoral Program)
- An additional monthly payment of 2,000 or 3,000 may be paid depending on your place of research.
Interested applicants are to check the official website for the proper Application procedures. Visit the official announcement page for more details. To start your application, Click the apply now button below.