ShE is Empowered is a one-year, non-residential, online development program for young African women and girls focused on leadership, soft skills development, social entrepreneurship, advocacy, African feminisms, and mentorship.
The program is online/remote. However, if the funding provides, there will be a residential summit that all ShE leaders will be required to attend. This summit will last no longer than a week, and AMI will cover all costs. For the 2023 cohort, 20 young African women between 15-29 will form part of this program from the following countries: Ghana, Malawi, Egypt, Botswana, Kenya, Tunisia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, and Sierra Leone.
Host: Afrika Matters Initiative (AMI)
Eligible Country: Africans
Application Closing Date: 6th November 2022
The program has three (3) facets.
- The first is bi-monthly educational and interactive sessions with facilitators on different topics (e.g. financial literacy, personal development, social entrepreneurship and others.) which are supplemented with mandatory assignments.
- The second facet is mentorship, where each ShE Leader is assigned a mentor to assist in their personal and professional development.
- The third facet is a community engagement project, where each ShE Leader must identify issues that affect their communities and establish tangible and sustainable solutions to rectify social ills. The CEP is to be carried out by the end of the program.
- You must be a woman or girl between the ages of 15-29
- Applicants must be a citizen of one of the following countries: Ghana, Malawi, Egypt, Botswana, Kenya, Tunisia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, and Sierra Leone.
- We highly recommend that you have a working and professional knowledge of English before applying to the program
- Applicant must present a project that identifies an issue/developmental opportunity in your community and aim to implement an ongoing solution (one-part that will be executed during the course of the program).
- AMI will provide Internet data to successful applicants to attend the online sessions
- Seed funding to assist with the execution of community engagement projects.
- At the end of the program, participants emerge with a strong network of young African women leaders, mentors, a certificate of participation, newly acquired skills and the support of the AMI team for participants to run social impact programs in their communities.
- After successfully completing the ShE program, you will join the Alumni Network of AMI Ambassadors and Leaders. As an alumna of the program you can become a mentor to incoming ShE Leaders, Attend and/or co-host AMI-related events and sessions in your country, continue your work with Africa Matters as an AMI Intern; facilitate Africa Matters flagship programs; become a ShE Application Reviewer and/or Interviewer, attend Future Residential Summit and/or AMI related events (if funding is available) and so much more
Interested applicants are to check the official website for the proper Application procedures. Visit the official announcement page for more details. To start your application, Click the apply now button below.